Friday, July 07, 2006

John the Canadian

John-the-Canadian slept on my couch for a couple weeks while he was in town shooting his road trip video about contemporary male identity. He split his time between working on the video and hanging out with a bunch of young Lacanian Marxist hobos and the Flower Shop Boys, six painters/new media students who live in an old flower shop and have a lot of idealism and good manners.




John-the-Canadian and a Flower Shop Boy.



The Flower Shop Boys hope to open up a free neighborhood internet center here.




The Greenhouse. This space is just hugely pregnant with possibilities.


I got John-the-Canadian to help me shoot a fundraising video for The Garden Center, a non-profit work center for the developmentally delayed. At the Garden Center, t
he term they prefer instead of "developmentally delayed" is "consumer". I guess by calling the D&D's consumers, which we all are, it maybe is supposed to normalize everything? I don't know.


John-the-Consumer with
John-the-Canadian



John seemed quiet and moody much of the time during his stay. I thought it was something I did, but I soon found out it was because one of the rail-hopping French-Canadian hobos had broken his heart. Lucky for him, John has so many friends and so many plans that I don't see him being heart-broken for long. Soon J-the-C will be back on the road headed north to Canada and perhaps in another two years will blow back through the Midwest. Happy travels, JR.

No comments: