Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Mural Work from 2011-2015


For the past four years, I have made all of my income from mural painting and teaching painting. I never actually thought such a thing would be possible. Here are some of my favorites:


May 2013 to October 2013-- Mural for the 49th Ward Participatory Budgeting Committee in conjunction with the Chicago Transit Authority.



 Here is a link to a detailed blog post about how this was made:
 http://www.fairwhitefrogman.blogspot.com/2013/08/mural-painting-in-rogers-park.html



 
June 2013 to September 2013 -- Mural for the Wicker Park Chamber of Commerce.
Had to use a paint by numbers approach to do this one.

This thing was huge! My dad helped me mount it to the outside of the building. It was done on marine grade plywood and varnished to withstand outdoor exposure. I walked past it the other day and it still looks great! Here's a blog post I wrote about the process: http://www.fairwhitefrogman.blogspot.com/2013/11/wicker-park-mural-october-2013.html


 
               June 2011 to August 2011--Gwozdziec Synagogue Project in Krakow, Poland. 


I was part of a 40 person team. We painted the ceiling using historically accurate materials and techniques. 


This ceiling is now a part of the permanent collection of the Museum of the History of Polish Jews in Warsaw, Poland. 


August 2014 to August 2015-- Commercial murals for Young and Rubicam/ Giant Eagle.


I'm particularly proud of this baked potato and steak. 


These were so much fun-- I did so many of them. Each one took two days to complete. 



Each mural was painted on this wall, which is six feet by eight feet.

This is the sketch I did for the previous mural. 

These murals were painted with acrylic paint
.

A detail of BACON!



This was an odd one. I usually didn't come up with the themes-- the art director did. 



November 2015 to December 2015-- I was a draftsman (muralist) for The Art Institute of Chicago. This is Sol LeWitt’s Wall Drawing Number 63, an 18 foot graphite drawing on the wall of the Modern Wing of the Art Institute of Chicago.
It took the three of us six weeks working full time to complete it. 

                                A detail of the maddening complexity of this drawing

A longer post on the Sol LeWitt wall drawing:  http://www.fairwhitefrogman.blogspot.com/2015/12/sol-lewitt-wall-drawing-63-at-art.html


No comments: